My stop-motion hedge knight, Sir Duncan The Tall, is now pretty much complete. His head and mouth can move as well as his legs, arms and fingers.
He still needs a few props, so I build him a sword out of Sculpey and a shield out of balsa wood.
I also make him a massive pair of shoulder pads just in case the Kansas City Chiefs decide to take him with their first pick in this years NFL Draft.
Ok, this guy is pretty much ready to make his big screen, stop-motion film debut.
Yesterday I got my stop-motion puppet roughed in and today I need to add some feet to it. I cut basic shapes out of cardboard and hot glue them to the foot dowel, but unfortunately, since I have no actual plan to work from, (I kinda just make things up as I go) I am completely at a loss as to what to do next…
I look around my studio and find some scuzzy old modeling clay that is left over from a previous project. I use it to shape up the top part of the feet. (If any of you are old Mort Drucker fans you might recognize where my feet come from.)
Ok, that worked pretty well, but now there is another problem. This clay is not the kind that ever dries and it’s a bit oily. Any kind of fabric material I put directly on top of that clay will immediately become all splotched and greasy looking. What to do? I decide at this point the best thing I can do is go to the kitchen to get something to eat and… hey… how about Kitchen Plastic Wrap?! I wrap the feet and they are now ready to be finished up.
I like the way the top of the feet look, but they are pretty flat. They need a bit more depth to them, so I hot glue some scrap wood to the bottom of each foot to get the volume I need. I then sew fabric around all of it, add some Sculpey painted armor and I’m done.
Tomorrow I build some hands…
I created my last stop-motion puppet with an armature of pencils and tape and while it was somewhat successful, it now seems to be pretty brittle. I really wanted to refine some of those ideas… so I built another one. Using a modeling compound called Super Sculpey I sculpted the top part of the head on an aluminum wire and the bottom jaw on another. Hypothetically I can then move the mouth around a bit and make this guy talk on camera.
Sculpey is a really great product that I have used for years. It has a great feel as you model it into shape and then you just toss it into your household oven for about 30 minutes and it comes out rock hard. It can then be painted with acrylic paint.
This time around I wanted to build a sturdier armature, so I bought a medium sized wooden dowel rod, cut it to the correct sizes and drilled holes into the end of each piece. I insert a fairly thick piece of aluminum wire into the holes to connect the dowels together and create a moveable frame. I cover all the aluminum wire joints with hot glue, which will accomplish several things. It will keep the wire from eventually breaking from heavy use, makes the wire joints a bit more rigid and permanently connects the wires and the wooden dowel together.
This guy is big, so in order to keep the weight down I cut up chunks of foam to create the body mass. I also add some really soft foam to the knee and elbow joints.
Finally I wrap the arms and legs with some scrap material (old socks) and then sew some more scrap material (a really fine green sweater I rocked during the 90’s) over the entire thing to keep all that other stuff in place. This gives me a solid base to start creating on.
Tomorrow we build some feet…
Jones brothers, sisters, inlaws, outlaws, nieces, nephews, kids and miscellaneous others traveled from all over the country to my Mother’s house last week for the 4th of July. With over 30 people in Mom’s house a bunch of us had to find other places to sleep when evening rolled around. As my family was leaving for the hotel the first night, my nephew Kyle said, “Hey Uncle Dennis, can I play around with that puppet of yours tonight?” I said sure and left it with him. When I showed up the next morning he had created this test clip with his MacBook. I love the way my goofy little sock puppet snaps to life in it. I think it’s fabulous!
Painting Magnus was a truly horrible experience… for both of us I’m sure. It finally came down to a “this is good enough because I’m not going to do this this any longer” sort of conclusion.
As you can see, the paint is very glossy under light and is still quite sticky to the touch. This would not work very well on a lit stage, plus after a few days Magnus would look like one of those old time, hanging fly strips with all sorts of junk stuck all over him.
To remedy this I put corn starch in a bowl and give Magnus a good coating of it. The corn stach adheres to the sticky paint and gives Magnus a matt finish for the camera. He is also no longer sticky.
Magnus is now ready for his big screen, stop-motion film debut. All I have to do now is learn a new software program and write him a story.
Poor Magnus StormWeasel. Now he finds himself hung upside down and enduring some sort of primitive, medieval paint torture. Actually, it is me that is suffering the primitive, medieval paint torture. Magnus is covered with a coat of clear Pros-Aide adhesive that makes him permanently sticky to the touch. I have to add the Pros-Aide to my acrylic paint in order for it to adhere to Magnus and rubberize the paint so it can stretch as he moves. Since I cannot hold Magnus, I have to hang him from his feet. It is like trying to paint upside down with melted gum. I don’t know who will cry uncle first… me or Magnus…